Friday, April 21, 2006

Fear and Loathing ... at the Movies

For those who can't believe that I haven't seen Schindler's List or the The Godfather (or a few others), I must explain that two emotions dominate in my specific avoidance of those movies. Hand in hand with this is my desire to actually enjoy a movie ... which many of these make difficult through subject matter.

Of course, those are fear (of being traumatized) and/or loathing (of a particular subject or actor).

Specifically:
  • Schindler's List - Fear: I still haven't recovered from Sophie's Choice which can make me break down and weep if I think about it too much. The trailers for Schindler's List left me in about the same shape. Sorry but I'm not going there voluntarily.
  • The Godfather - Fear: cold blooded gangster movies, however well done, aren't gonna go down well. Loathing: Marlon Brando. Great actor no doubt but I can't stand him. 'Nuff said.
  • Pulp Fiction - Fear: see notes from The Godfather above.
  • Shawshank Redemption - Loathing: Tim Robbins. (Although I probably will see this movie eventually despite that. I saw Master and Commander despite my loathing for Russell Crowe and enjoyed it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment