Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Few New Favorite Things

Discovered on my trip to Springfield ...
  • McDonald's McCafe Latte ... in the large drive-through size. It hit the spot and I didn't want a cola. Mmmm, latte ...
  • Mrs. Appleyard's Kitchen ... an absolutely delightful "forgotten classic" that I discovered in my parent's basement. Hilarious and intentionally so ... Mom and I kept picking it up and reading each other snippets all day ... and laughing our heads off. I'll be reading some of this at Forgotten Classics for the next episode.
  • Lamentation (The Psalms of Isaak) by Ken Scholes ... listened to this on the way home for six solid hours. Yes, it is that good and fascinating. After CD3 I already was making a mental list of who I'd be buying this book for on upcoming birthdays. More to come in the review which will be for SFFaudio but it is an epic that is character driven by four main people and doesn't feel like an epic. It is a unique worldview that combines something like Robin Hood, a future in which ancient technology from before the time of Laughing Madness is sought after, and medieval governments of trading houses and the Church (complete with Pope). I can't do it justice in this little bit but find this book. Read it. I'll let y'all know when I'm done and the review comes out.
  • Delonghi Coffee Maker. It is sad when you come home to find the coffeepot carafe cracked while doing dishes. Even sadder when you read the scathing reviews of most standard coffee makers at Amazon. This one not only had raves but also was available at the nearby Target. Excellent coffee was enjoyed this morning ... as we would hope from the snazzy Italian design!
Also discovered, but not so welcome ... is that I might have been staying in a haunted hotel room (or a gigantic spiritual attack). Which became a distinct possibility after my last night there. Not at all a nice experience if so. If not so, which I am perfectly willing to concede, then I was experiencing the mother of all paranoid delusions ... I am going to write to the hotel and see if they have had anyone else bothered by staying in that particular room. Not going into the details but I figure if I'm sharing the delightful strangeness of connecting with God here, then I'll also mention if I might experience the other. Because we know if there's one then there's the other. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment