Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Today God Sent a Friend to Sit Beside Me

Funny thing. Going through a few family things right now that are not only taking up a lot of time but also rather stressful.

Daily mass has been very helpful for this. Again, no angels singing or big epiphanies but I find I have been hugely helped by the steady flow of homilies and time in front of the tabernacle, not to mention the immense benefit of the Eucharist (of course, the most important comes last, right?).

Another great thing is to realize the good that is there to see along with the tough stuff. The fact that my brother, sister, and I get along so well and can laugh with each other through everything is a true blessing.

Just yesterday, my sister sent an email that began thusly:
You know, just when things look the bleakest God says, "well here's a wonderful person for you that's proof of my love"; that's Cathy.
Today that very same thing happened to me. I was at morning Mass and thought suddenly of a friend who attends whenever she can, "I wish Kim was here. It would be so comforting to tell her all of this. Oh well, I don't need to go on talking to people about this stuff. Most people have things much harder than I do and I need to toughen up and not worry about it."

Even with that, I found myself still thinking again five minutes later how good it would be to talk with Kim.

About five minutes after that while I was kneeling after communion, someone suddenly came and knelt down next to me. Kim. Like an answer to prayer. In fact, that is what she was.

I remembered what my sister had said and was flooded with thanksgiving for a God who cares enough to send such comfort right when it is needed. Proof of his love.

Kim was indeed good medicine for me with good advice that I never would have thought of otherwise.

Thanks be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment