Friday, August 7, 2009

Some Very Good Advice: Duty Before Holiness

Just as I was feeling doomed to unwittingly stray away from God by following "good" inspirations that would end up negatively impacting my life or the lives of my loved ones, I came across a three-word nugget of wisdom that would end up being one of the most helpful pieces of advice I've ever heard:

Duty before holiness.
A must read from Jen at Conversion Diary.

This quote ranges a bit wider and applies to everyone a bit more than a similar one which I like from St. Francis of Rome.
A married woman must often leave God at the altar in order to find Him in her housework.
We get the point though. It is tempting to be pulled away from everyday, mundane activities that are nevertheless of paramount importance: spouse, children, family, home. However, these are the places where God manifests Himself if we are striving to walk in Jesus' footsteps.

After all, let us not forget, Jesus spent all but three years of his life as a regular Joe, a carpenter with an everyday life in the back end of nowhere. If it's good enough for God, then it should be good enough for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment