Thursday, March 11, 2010

Bishops Elect Deshotel and Seitz for Dallas

I like it. I like it a lot.

Whispers in the Loggia says both were named as co-auxiliaries to Dallas' Bishop Farrell and I couldn't be happier.

I don't know Bishop Elect Steitz, about whom good stories are being told, but I am very familiar with Bishop Elect Deshotel who used to fill in at St. Thomas Aquinas long ago.

Specifically I can never be grateful enough for his answering the call to the priesthood. It was he who heard my first face-to-face confession during the CRHP retreat that I attended six years ago. I kid you not, I don't remember specific words but I do know that I felt Jesus Himself speaking through him ... kindly, insightfully, and with words of healing. That confession was a key moment for me personally and ultimately the main reason (among so many) that I was called to attend that retreat.
  • Here is the diocese's announcement.
  • Here is the bishop's blog which not only has posts about the bishops-elect but also announces that Dallas will be welcoming home 3,000 new Catholics at Easter. Thanks be to God ...

3 comments:

  1. I don't know either of them, but they both sound wonderful! Two auxiliary bishops--we're in the big time now! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met Bishop Elect Deshotel, actually sat with his table a few years back, at a JPII HS annual dinner - he was very nice to all, friends and strangers (me). Congratulations to both Bishop Elects, and to the 3000 new Catholics. Dallas Diocese, you're on the right path if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a small, small Catholic world....

    Seriously, I'm very happy for you and Dallas -- and I'm very grateful that Deshotel answered the call, too!

    Two auxiliaries... man, everything _is_ big in Texas! :)

    ReplyDelete