Monday, April 5, 2010

Congratulations to Tony C. Smith and StarShipSofa

This weekend the Hugo nominations came out. For the first time, a podcast was nominated for a Hugo ... StarShipSofa in the Fanzine category.

The Hugo Awards are awards for excellence in the field of science fiction and fantasy. The Fanzine category wording was reworded this year in such a way that more than print media was allowed consideration. I must say that it never occurred to me to think of the Sofa as a fanzine but it only took two seconds to realize that such is its true nature. Tony is the host and facilitator but there are contributions from tons of people who simply love science fiction. It is a fantastic audio science fiction magazine and the contributions are from fans. I'm a fan as a listener and also have been lucky enough to do a bit of narrating which was a very enjoyable experience indeed.

Congratulations Tony and here's hoping the Sofa wins!

4 comments:

  1. The AMAZING webcomic Girl Genius is up for a Hugo too--Yay!! (If you haven't read Girl Genius, it's hysterical and really nicely-drawn)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't ... going to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So now I'm, like, two degrees of linkiness away from a Hugo nomination.... You're moving me up in the hierarchy of fandom, Julie D.!

    :)

    Of course, the greatest (inadvertently funniest) Hugo acceptance ever was the one for Galaxy Quest. Alas, I don't see any footage of it on YouTube! I will try and find it somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You crack me up ...

    And I'd love to see that Galaxy Quest Hugo speech. Crossing my fingers...

    ReplyDelete