Tuesday, February 8, 2011

iPhone App Aids in Confession and Carries Imprimatur (corrected)

A new app for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch has been “developed for those who frequent the sacrament and those who wish to return” in what is the first known imprimatur to be given for an iPhone or iPad app.
I'm sure that I am late in noticing this, but a pal sent me the link, asking what I thought about it. I thought I'd post this as it is how I let Tom know about interesting Catholic news.

It actually just looks like another way to organize your thoughts more than anything.

I, myself, resist cell phones, apps, and all that. That's just a personal thing. I have so many gadgets. So I use note cards. They are easy to stack and don't need batteries.
This app looks no worse than having a printed out examination of conscience, and prompts to get through confession (which I have handwritten on a note card).

Though I do NOT write down a list of sins ... they are burned onto my mind until I talk to the priest! (So much safer that way.)

CORRECTION
The original headline said this carries a Vatican imprimatur and I had clicked around and found numerous stories from reputable sources which said that very thing. However, it turns out that they didn't really check their sources any further than I did. There is an imprimatur but it was bestowed by an American, Bishop Kevin Rhoades of Fort Wayne-South Bend.

The place to get the real story as well as see all the ways the story was misrepresented in the news it at the always-valuable Get Religion.

2 comments:

  1. I have some mixed feelings and thoughts on this one...

    I do keep a post it list (torn up following confession)as I still tend to go all ADD when go to confession.

    On the other hand, that little post it list is the result of nightly examination of conscious and frequent personal prayer.


    The GUI shown seems to me (IMO) to be a rather cursory list that lacks the in depth examination that (again IMO) is so necessary to a good confession.

    I wonder... if you scroll down on the screen does it have a check box with "Are you sorry for your sins? Do you firmly resolve to avoid all occasions of sin and near sin?" "Check Yes? No? Not Sure? Need More Info?" Perhaps there is a "Press Send" and it can go directly to the Confessor? He can text back "You are absolved...."

    Anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, some people like those sorts of lists and others do not. But some people need to get jump started in even remembering how to think about it. So for me that is no big deal.

    Now, I don't use a prompt. In fact, I did tell Scott D. all about it on the last A Good Story is Hard to Find podcast. Yes, telling the world about my confession prep ... and even more!

    None of it involves writing things down. :-)

    ReplyDelete