Friday, May 20, 2011

Quick Look at a Recent Book: The Planet Savers

The Planet Savers: Including The Waterfall (Darkover Series)The Planet Savers by Marion Zimmer Bradley

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I listened to part of this ... maybe from Librivox (?) ... and then decided that reading would be faster and keep my attention better so I downloaded a free version for the Kindle. I never have read any of the Darkover books and this early book is a great example of classic sf. It tells of two races having to come together to save one race from a deadly plague. Mirroring this is the character of Jay Allison who suffers from an internal division of his own which must also be overcome in order to not only help save lives but to save his own identity. Fascinating and attention holding, as well as a quick read. I will be looking for other Darkover novels.

2 comments:

  1. I went through a big Darkover phase when I was in high school and binge-read my way through the entire series thanks to Half Price Books. Good classic sic-fi, though like many writers of that era Bradley climbed on the sexual revolution bandwagon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which is always tiring ... however, easy to ignore once it is identified. Thanks for the heads up on that! :-)

    ReplyDelete