Monday, March 26, 2012

Eternal Rest Grant Him, O Lord ... for Gregg Margarite

I had the privilege of "meeting" Gregg on SFFaudio and he seemed larger than life somehow, so it was with great shock that I heard via SFFaudio that he died of a sudden heart attack.

This is such a shock and I am really sad because I’m going to miss Gregg so much. He was pervasive in my life, whether via his many LibriVox readings, hearing his conversations on the SFFaudio podcast, or our sparring on the occasional SFFaudio podcasts we were on (as is only natural for an outspoken Catholic and an outspoken existentialist). I am doubly sad because I always cherished the hope that I would get to New York City and be able to have cocktails with him.

Maureen commented at SFFaudio that she suspected Philip K. Dick is now showing Gregg around the afterlife and that made me laugh. It made me hope that that stubborn existentialist took the chance offered at the last second to grasp Christ's hand and get to meet all those fine authors who have gone before him and whose work he read so well for LibriVox. And I am praying that when I get to Purgatory, they'll either tell me he's gone on ahead ... or he'll wave a hand at the chair next to his.

Gregg, we will all miss you very much.
Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.
And may Gregg see your face, Lord. This I pray.

4 comments:

  1. I knew Gregg for forty years. All my prayers go to Janine. Peace to an old friend
    Janz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gregg and I and John (Janz)^ were inseparable back in the late 70s. I moved away from Philly 33 years ago, and lost touch with Gregg. Now I'm so sorry I won't have a chance to rekindle and renew with an unforgettable guy. Funny, smart, contrarian in those days, I'm sure he got even more interesting with age. RIP old friend. And peace to his wife Janine.

      Delete
    2. I still think of him often. If you go to SFFaudio and look for episodes where Gregg participated I'm sure you'd enjoy hearing what he had to say.

      Delete
  2. Gregg volunteered his time at my website as well and it was a real shock to find out he had passed away. He was an amazing and very generous man. I miss him.

    ReplyDelete