Thursday, August 28, 2014

Lagniappe: The minister's bride and lunch

The minister's bride set her luncheon casserole down with a flourish, and waited for grace. "It seems to me," murmured her husband, "that I have blessed a good deal of this material before.
Irma Rombauer, The Joy of Cooking
It made me laugh to think of leftovers as twice blessed, especially with a father who frowned upon leftovers. Perhaps from contrariness, perhaps just because I like the flavor that comes to many dishes from settling for a day, I love leftovers. Luckily my husband does too!

1 comment:

  1. I used to hate leftovers when I was a kid, but now I love them! Maybe because I liked the dish the first time I made it (not always the case with my mom's food...). Often times I make much more than needed for dinner just so we can have the same meal again the next day (turkey tacos, chili, pepper chicken, lasagna, etc.). Those meals get much better with age! I'm grateful that my husband also likes leftovers. :)

    ReplyDelete